Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The truth is...

Before I begin... it isn't that I don't care about proper grammar or sentence structure, its just that I don't REALLY care THAT MUCH about proper grammar or sentence structure... :)

I don't blog much anymore, but when I do I find it therapeutic.  Tonight, in multiple conversations and encounters, a simple truth was revealed to me... a truth that I "know", but don't take to heart and act upon MYSELF often enough.

The truth is... enough.  

No, the truth doesn't fix every problem.  No, the truth isn't always exciting.  No, the truth doesn't necessarily lead to a better paying job, a happier marriage, a well adjusted child, or a front row ticket to a foo fighters concert.  

Still, truth is enough.  Truth is what happened, how you feel... it is genuine, authoritative, completing, and sometimes ugly-nakedness.  Its the truth.  

Now before I/we devolve into the madness of "relativity" (which is an entire sub-set of crazy that I am swimming through in mediation these days), I'm not here to play any "true is only true from a certain point of view" games.  

I'm NOT that smart?!?   What I'm talking about is, "I should have treated that person better" or "I shouldn't have lied" or "Embellishing that story did nothing for me OR the person listening".  I'm talking about sharing what is real - what happened or what you REALLY think and feel - instead of hiding behind what you think someone WANTS to hear or is EASIER for them to hear.  

I sometimes make those mistakes with truth too, and they are often well intentioned mistakes.  But they are still mistakes, and they are not the truth.  Why do I sometimes feel "truth" has to be sexier in order to cut through the hyper-stimulating noise of life?  (did I just answer that question just by stating the question? DEEP!?!)

I pray. Not often enough. (thats the truth)  I pray tonight that I/we tell more truths than partial truths.  I pray that I get comfortable breathing the truth.  (up, up, here we go up on the soap box)  I don't read Jesus the Christ as a man who was uncomfortable with truth.  He spoke truths, often difficult to hear, tempered with love and purpose.  I tell you the truth, love God and love your neighbor... all the law is wrapped up in that.  Not too sexy.  But truth.

I want to follow the truth. I want to be more honest.  I want to live without guilt or a spirit which wonders what might have been different if I spoke simply...

Truth does not seek to impress.  Truth does not seek to empower.  Truth is a companion; a partner that asks for you to treat it properly.  Just shine a light toward it, and let it speak for itself.  

This wasn't my way of confessing to robbing a bank, or to popping a child's balloon at the fair.  I'm probably making much out of a little...

...and you know what, hopefully its for the last time in a long time.  

Lord in Your mercy... hear my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment