Wednesday, September 8, 2010

...called to serve...

Notice, the title of this blog isn't "called to blog"!

I recently took an unintentional break from my short foray into blogging. 85% of the reason (don't you just LOVE STATS!!) I took a break was that I simply forgot to blog. (oops) The other 15% was because when I did remember to blog, I felt that had nothing profound to say.

WHAT A MISTAKE! I apologize. (before you think I've taken a head-first dive into an ocean of narcissism, hang on for a few more paragraphs...)

(I started this blog to accompany sermons which I was giving at the church. It was nice to have an outlet to talk about things which came to my mind during the sermon writing process...I really didn't think anyone would read it, or CONTINUE TO PESTER ME when I stopped writing) :)

What do YOU do when you realize someone is listening to you? More often than not, it causes me to think more about what I say. As I've grown in my role here at the church, I find myself fighting to stay 'relevant'. I find myself fighting to always have a 'home-run' message. I can't afford to only hit a "home-run" in my messages 2/3 out for 4 times in a month...at least in my mind. Quite frankly, who knows if I've ever even hit a single?! :) I know that on my own I've barely got enough strength to complete a bunt, and it is God who really drives in the runs.

Where I'm headed is this...I have been called to serve my God. I have been called to attempt to be TRANSPARENT and allow God to preach a message through me that an audience of 1, 2, 500 people might hear it an consider following Christ more consistently. With that comes a definable amount of pressure to complete that call...what if I don't say it right?

That being said, WHAT A MISTAKE it has been to fool myself into actually believing that I have nothing profound to say?!

Jesus loves you. Jesus died for you. Jesus needs nothing from you other than a gift of exactly who you are right now. Let Him transform you from the inside out. Listen to the voice which has been calling out to you. Do not ignore His call today. Love the Lord your God, serve each other as if you were taking care of yourself, and share the good news AS it is transforming you. Christ in you has the power to reshape the world around you! Answer the call.

A popular saying around the Iowa United Methodist Church is "be encouraged". I'll hit that one in a later blog. Instead, what I would extend to you today (simply as a humble follower of Christ) is to "be called". "BE" - as in its definition "to equal in meaning".

You need not wait for Christ's call. BE called. You have been called by Christ to serve...BECOME THAT CALL. Become a reflection of Jesus and His love for this world.

For the 3 of you who read this blog (I know 2 of you... :) ), I'll be more faithful to my call within the context of this blog. I'm also hoping to start a podcast with a very intelligent colleague of mine which I hope will be a reflection of a passion we have to connect the raw gospel with our time.

The most profound thought I have...the most AMAZING thing I know...Jesus loves you.

If you haven't ever considered just how PROFOUND that is, join me in BEING called.

I'll be praying for you this week. Would you do the same for me?



No comments:

Post a Comment