Thursday, January 14, 2010

Is the Bible relevant?

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

This week's message tied to our sermon series "Got Doubts" relates to relevancy. It shouldn't surprise us that our perception of relevancy is often FAR different than what I believe to be reality. Relevancy is measured, unfortunately, by opinion and individual morality. We say that certain societal changes/events are not relevant to us because there effects can't be measured, OR WORSE we turn a blind eye to relevancy because we have preconceived prejudices.

In my message this week, we'll be talking about whether or not the BIBLE is relevant to us as humanity today. I think it is important to look at the Bible's relevancy not only to those who call themselves Christian, but also to the rest of the world.

One of the scriptures for the message the passage from Hebrews above. With regard to the passage, I have certainly 'FELT' the double-edged sword penetrating my spirit and judging my heart. While this passage could be applied to the way we feel as the holy spirit moves and works within us, Hebrews 4 is talking about the GOSPEL being taught to the ancient believers. Hebrews 4 also reflects on those who have HEARD the gospel, but did not combine it with faith.

(as a related tangent, re-read the passage above, but think about the word "word" (no pun intended) the way the gospel of John uses the word "word" at the beginning of the Gospel. 'In the beginning there was the word...and the word WAS God'...while maybe not its intended meaning, it does speak to me about how the very essence of Jesus, the spirit of God, the holy spirit that penetrates my soul just as the gospel teachings do...)

(back to topic!!)

How many people do you know who have "heard" the word/gospel, but have done nothing with it because it isn't RELEVANT to them. Jesus was just a man...Jesus might not have even been anything special at all...Jesus isn't relevant to me because he isn't TANGIBLY affecting my life. The Bible is an unsubstantiated fairy tale which has no more meaning to me than Jack and the bean stock.

We make the mistake as Christians and non-believers of considering 'relevancy' as a side dish on life's dinner plate that WE somehow can choose "a la carte". "Oh, I don't feel as though this is relevant to me", so I will ignore the TRUTH there is for ME in it. How UNFORTUNATE!

As an ELEMENTARY EXAMPLE of relevance for today, I watched the news yesterday about a massive earthquake in Haiti which has potentially killed tens of thousands of people. Think about the portions of the Bible where we are commanded by God to love our neighbors, to take care of orphans and widows, to give freely for EACH OTHER...and then step back away from our primitive view of relevance, and let go of the NONSENSE which would tell you that because you don't believe in God, because church is to political, because I don't need a "God" to make my understanding of the world work, the teachings of the Bible are IRRELEVANT.

Today, with the world seemingly at war with itself, with global economies failing, with children starving, with people dying of diseases that are curable only a few thousand miles away, I CANNOT THINK OF A MORE RELEVANT BOOK, of a MORE RELEVANT TEACHING, of a MORE RELEVANT MESSAGE THAN THE BIBLE PROVIDES. LOVE ONE ANOTHER! LOVE YOUR ENEMIES AND PRAY FOR THOSE WHO PERSECUTE YOU!

In our sermon this week, we'll spend more time on scripture(s) and God's will for our lives in light of "relevance" than on this blog. My belief is that ALL scripture is relevant, because all scripture is ultimately pointing back to the glory/power/wonder/majesty of our God, to the salvation offered by Jesus Christ, and to the teachings which would help us to be more like Him...maybe even be MORE relevant people.

This blog turned into more of a sloppy rant than a formulated argument about ANYTHING, but that's where I am today. My apologies to the 5 people reading this!

God Bless. I am praying for you. Would you do the same for me?

John

2 comments:

  1. Well put, John! I think we all long to know and feel THAT relevancy and how the Holy Spirit and His word relate to our daily lives. For me, I often have a hard time understanding how some of my daily, mundane, "unimportant" tasks relate to what the Lord has called me to do. I mean, how is changing this poopy diaper important? How am I supposed to serve our God while doing laundry? How do I teach my children about grace, forgiveness, and compassion when they outright disobey me? These are just the things I deal with and I know everyone has their own.

    Thanks for giving me a little "food for thought." Looking forward to your message on Sunday.

    By they way, you have SIX followers, so there are definitely more than just five of us reading this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the "rant". Apology not accepted. :) You gave me lots to think about. Trust me that is a good thing. Also believe Missy couldn't have said it any better. I struggle at times but in my heart I will always believe. Continue praying for me. Yes, I will pray for you! Privileged to be follower #9.

    ReplyDelete